The Academic Year 2021-22 runs from 7 September 2021 to 15 July 2022 and is divided into three terms, Autumn, Spring and Summer. There are holiday breaks between each term. For 2021-22:
- Autumn Term (first term) runs from 7 September to 16 December 2021
- Spring Term (second term) runs from 5 January to 1 April 2022
- Summer Term (third term) runs from 20 April to 15 July 2022
All dates in this document are inclusive.
Year groups and admission to the School
The Year Group that a child would join is determined by their age on 31 August. Please refer to the table below.
Children who are rising 3
Children may enter the Nursery in the term that they celebrate their third birthday. Children who join as a rising 3 will be in the Nursery for more than one academic year. In such instances, to ensure continuity, the children remain in the same classroom for the second academic year. Children enter Reception in the academic year that they turn 5 years old. The school year runs from 1 September to 31 August.
Early Years School
Age on 31 August
|Year group||Age on 31 August||Year group||Age on 31 August||Year group|
|Nursery||6||Year 2||11||Year 7|
|Year 1||8||Year 4||13||
Admission into the school
The School reserves the right to not offer a place if:
- the child is not toilet trained (below are the requirements for what your child must be able to do), or
- Recognise when they need to go to the toilet
- Use the toilet independently
- Deal with their own clothing
- Wipe themselves when finished
- Does not need to wear nappies (diapers) or pull ups
- it determines that the child would not benefit educationally from attending the School, or
- if the learning support needs required by the child cannot be supported by the School, or
- for any other reason that the School considers relevant.
Registration fee and deposit
A non-refundable registration fee of €250 is required at the start of the admissions process for each child applying to the school.
The School requires the following documents:
- A completed application form submitted online for each child
- A passport size photograph of the child
- A copy of the child’s birth/adoption certificate
- A copy of proof of identity for the parents
- If applicable, any statements for learning support needs, or reports from educational professionals such as speech therapists or psychologists
- A confidential reference from the child’s current school (see below).
For applications to Year 1 in the Early Years, Junior and Senior schools, the Admissions Department will request a confidential reference from the child’s current school. A parent reference will be requested for a child applying to join Reception. A reference is not required for children applying to join Nursery.
Once the application has been reviewed by the relevant Head of School and the Principal, the Admissions Department will send an invoice for the deposit. The deposit is €1,500 for Nursery and €2,500 from Reception to Year 13. Children transferring from Nursery to Reception will be invoiced an additional €1,000 deposit.
If the deposit is not paid by the due date the School will cancel the application without notice.
The deposit is refunded when the child leaves the School provided a term’s notice has been given and there are no outstanding invoices or when the School is not able to offer the child a place. For Nursery enrolments, if a place is offered and accepted but the preferred sessions are not available, this is not a sufficient reason for the deposit to be refunded. This similarly applies to enrolments for Years 10 and 12 where certain courses may no longer be available.
Allocation of places
When a place has been offered, the parents have three working days to email a scanned copy of the acceptance letter that needs to be signed by a parent. If, after three working days, the School has not received a signed copy of the acceptance letter, the child will be placed back on the waiting list and the place offered to another family.
The School always tries to offer all children in a family a place. Where this is not possible the cancellation and refund policy below applies per child.
Cancelling a place before the start date
When a place has been offered and accepted and the parents decide to withdraw their acceptance, a term’s notice of cancellation is required. This must be sent as an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Failure to give timely notice of cancellation will result in the Deposit being forfeited and a term’s fees being charged
- For a child joining in the Spring Term 2022, cancellation to be received by 17 September 2021.
- For a child joining in the Summer Term 2022, cancellation to be received by 14 January 2022.
- For a child joining in the Autumn Term 2022, cancellation to be received by 6 May 2022.
Expectations for the child’s living arrangements
Upon enrolment, parents must provide contact details of two adults who the School can contact in case of emergency. At least one of these should be a parent or legal guardian who the child lives with. Regardless of the child’s age, The British School of Amsterdam does not enrol any students who will be living alone in The Netherlands. If circumstance change when a student is in school, parents/guardians must inform the School.
Responsibility of payment of school fees
Irrespective of whether the invoice is sent to a family or company, it remains the responsibility of those signing the acceptance letter to ensure that school fees are paid in a timely manner.
Leaving the school
A term’s notice is required for leaving the School.
Attendance is required for all or part of the term during which a child leaves. The deposit and school fee for subsequent terms can only be refunded if all of the following conditions are met:
- The online notification of leaving form was submitted on time.
- All fees are paid.
- All extra costs are paid.
- All invoiced amounts for siblings are paid.
Please note: refunds will be made to the bank account from which we received the original payment.
The School aims to pay refunds within 30 days of the end of the term in which a child leaves the School. If notice is received late the School will charge fees for the following term and the deposit will be retained to cover any outstanding fees.
Notification of leaving dates 2021-22:
- For a child leaving during or at the end of the Autumn Term 2021, notification should be received by Friday 10 September 2021.
- For a child leaving during or at the end of the Spring Term 2021, notification should be received by Friday 7 January 2021.
- For a child leaving during or at the end of the Summer Term 2021 (and so not returning for the new academic year), notification should be received by Friday 25 March 2022.
Right to amend the Conditions of Enrolment
The School has the right to vary the Conditions of Enrolment under offer which children shall be admitted and educated in the School. Any change will be communicated to parents via email and on the website.