Values and aims
We aspire to be a world class school providing an outstanding British education to the international community of Amsterdam.
- Academic pursuit is at the heart of what we do as a School. We strive to create an exciting, enriching, engaging and challenging curriculum for every pupil where the teaching is outstanding, and each individual child is nurtured both academically and personally.
- We strive to develop confident and assured young people, who are aware of their place in the world, their impact on it and on others.
- We strive to provide a connected and continuous experience for pupils and staff, linking together the four phases of the School from 3 to 18.
- We strive to offer opportunities for every member of the school community to develop and learn.
- We strive to ensure our operations and resources are managed in an efficient, responsible and sustainable way.
Children are at the centre of everything we do. Each child is unique. Each child has potential. Each child is valued.
At The British School of Amsterdam, we believe that education should nurture a love of learning, a sense of curiosity, a sense of self-worth and the worth of others, a global awareness and a sense of responsibility. We want your child to feel valued, happy and successful. An education at The British School is focused on the individual. It is about developing the whole child to achieve their very best. It is about unlocking potential and opening minds. As well as providing the academic rigour we work hard to support the child's personal development and provide a rich programme of extra-curricular activities.
As a school we seek to work with parents to develop inquiring, imaginative, fascinated, knowledgeable and caring young people with an eagerness for knowledge and a sense of value. Together we aim to provide young people with the skills they will need to make informed choices in a moral context throughout the rest of their lives. We are, proudly, a non-selective school with high expectations of all pupils and staff. Our staff are the school's greatest asset; they are professional, caring, committed and work together, whatever their role, to provide the best possible education for the children in our care.
We have a strong sense of community and of purpose. We want each child to fulfil their academic, sporting and creative potential, because that opens doors to the future, but we believe that education is not confined to the classroom nor to the requirements of examinations. We want to provide opportunities for each child to discover and enjoy their individual talents, interests and passions. We want each child to learn teamwork and leadership skills; to learn how to take risks in a safe environment, to learn how to cope with failure as well as success; and, most importantly, to be happy. We are accredited by the UK Government as a British School Overseas offering the National Curriculum for England leading to international GCSEs and A Levels.